Sitrep — Tuesday, 19 May

Sitrep — Tuesday, 19 May

TL;DR

The Ebola PHEIC is 48 hours old and the case count is already moving. Somalia's famine warning, which has been building for weeks, landed in full force yesterday with a joint statement from FAO, OCHA, UNICEF, and WFP: six million people, one in three Somalis, in acute hunger. Sudan keeps producing the same terrible headlines: civilian vehicles struck, electricity infrastructure hit, thousands displaced in a single day. There's a follow-up worth flagging on the Gaza flotilla interception. And this morning, the Secretary-General opens the CERF pledging conference in the ECOSOC Chamber downstairs; and the timing, given everything else on this list, is not lost on anyone in the building.

Five stories below.

1. Ebola: 336 suspected cases, no vaccine, and it's already crossed into Uganda

Forty-eight hours since WHO declared the Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, and the numbers are not moving in the right direction. As of Sunday, CDC had recorded 10 confirmed cases and 336 suspected cases, with more than 100 suspected deaths. Two confirmed cases in Kampala, Uganda's capital, both from people who had travelled from DRC's Ituri province. The WHO determination cited a positivity rate of eight positive samples out of 13 collected across different areas, which, if it holds, suggests the outbreak is considerably larger than what's being detected and reported.

The strain is the problem: Bundibugyo virus has only been reported twice before in history. There are no approved vaccines or treatments. The experimental candidate that exists was tested on monkeys at around 50% efficacy and has never been assessed in humans. That's the situation: a potentially fast-moving outbreak, in one of DRC's most conflict-affected and under-served provinces, with no medical countermeasures. MSF's emergency programme manager, Trish Newport, said on Saturday that in Ituri many people already struggle to access healthcare and live with ongoing insecurity, making rapid action critical. She said this before the PHEIC was even declared.

The US invoked a public health law yesterday limiting entry from the affected region. More than 30 CDC staff are in-country. Africa CDC is leading the regional response. The Secretary-General's office has not yet issued a specific statement on the outbreak beyond welcoming the WHO declaration. Watch the next 72 hours of case reporting from Ituri closely, that's where the trajectory becomes clearer.

WHO PHEIC declaration | CNN

2. Somalia: one in three Somalis in acute hunger, WFP reaching one in ten

The joint statement from FAO, OCHA, UNICEF, and WFP, released Friday and flagged again yesterday, puts the number at six million people (31% of Somalia's population) in crisis levels of food insecurity or worse. Nearly two million of them are already at IPC Phase 4, emergency conditions, one step below famine. That figure has tripled in less than a year. 1.9 million children are acutely malnourished, and of those, 493,000 have severe acute malnutrition, which carries a mortality risk twelve times higher than a well-nourished child.

WFP's Matthew Hollingworth, who returned from Somalia last week, gave one number that cuts through everything else. WFP is currently reaching one in ten people in urgent need of food assistance. Last year it was reaching more than two million. The agency warns that without immediate funding, it risks halting emergency assistance altogether by July. Hameed Nuru, WFP's country director, put it plainly: "Entire families have had to once again make the toughest choices. Sell the little assets they had, reduce or completely cut meals, and leave everything behind to find help, but this time there's no help available."

The drivers include three consecutive failed rainy seasons (the lowest seasonal crop harvest in thirty years) and the global price shock from the Middle East conflict. Food prices have risen 70% in some areas of Somalia. Fuel is up 150%. Both make delivering aid harder and more expensive at exactly the moment when funding has collapsed. The 2022 famine was averted by an unprecedented scale-up. That scale-up is not happening this time, because the money isn't there.

UN News | IRC press release

3. Sudan: civilian vehicles hit, electricity cut, thousands flee Blue Nile

Another bad weekend in Sudan, though by now that phrase barely covers it. On Saturday, more than 17 people were killed when a civilian truck travelling from Khumi village toward Abu Zabad in West Kordofan State was struck. Drone strikes were reported across North and South Darfur, including near the Adré border crossing where a fire destroyed parts of Adikong market and a neighbouring village, a critical humanitarian and commercial supply route, now damaged. In Blue Nile State, a strike on a major electricity station knocked out power across Damazin, the capital, disrupting water and health services.

IOM reported that heightened insecurity in Blue Nile State displaced more than 4,600 people from Al Kurmuk locality on Thursday alone. Meanwhile, in El Fasher, insecurity is continuing to push people from surrounding villages into the city, where acute shortages of food, water, and essential services make surviving each week harder. Nearly 15,000 people have arrived in Tawila in recent weeks, overwhelming communities that were already stretched. In Northern State, thousands of people escaping the violence in Darfur and Kordofan are arriving in Ad Dabbah, where partners are scaling up at Al Afad camp (currently hosting around 11,000 people) though critical gaps remain because of funding shortfalls.

Nearly 19.5 million people now face crisis levels of hunger in Sudan. The RSF is twenty kilometres from Kadugli. The 2026 humanitarian appeal is 16% funded.

OCHA Sudan | UN Press Briefing

4. Gaza: flotilla fallout, and the Israeli Cabinet approves a new military compound at UNRWA's former HQ

A bit more detail on Sunday's flotilla interception, which is still developing. The Global Sumud Flotilla, carrying 17 vessels and dozens of activists from multiple countries, was intercepted by Israeli military vessels in international waters off Cyprus. Organizers say contact was lost with nearly two dozen boats in the eastern Mediterranean. The flotilla was attempting to breach the maritime blockade to deliver humanitarian aid. As of this morning, Israeli authorities have not provided a full account of the operation or the status of those on board. Several governments whose nationals were on the vessels have requested consular access.

The Israeli Cabinet also approved plans over the weekend to build a military compound at the former UNRWA headquarters site in Gaza. The decision follows Israel's ban on UNRWA operations inside Israel and the occupied territory, which came into effect in January and has severely restricted humanitarian access. UNRWA's Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini called the plans an attempt to dismantle UNRWA's operational capacity permanently and called on member states to intervene. The compound plan and the flotilla interception will both likely be raised at the Council this week.

On the wider Gaza picture, the cumulative death toll per the Ministry of Health stands at more than 72,600 as of last week. Stocks of food, medicine, and fuel inside the Strip remain critically low. The northern Gaza ceasefire, declared in October, has held in some areas and not in others. The regional ceasefire agreed in April is technically in effect and practically meaningless.

Democracy Now / Havana Times

5. CERF pledging conference: the Secretary-General is downstairs, making the ask

This morning at 10 a.m., in the ECOSOC Chamber, the Secretary-General opens the annual CERF high-level pledging event, co-hosted this year by Ireland and the Philippines. The ask is not complicated. CERF is the UN's emergency fund, the money that moves fast when a crisis breaks, before bilateral donor decisions catch up. It's what allowed the system to respond to Sudan in the first weeks of the war in 2023 and to Gaza in October of that year.

The GHO makes the frame clear. The 2026 global humanitarian appeal needs $23 billion to reach 87 million people. CERF is not $23 billion, it's a fraction of that, typically around $700-800 million a year when fully subscribed. But it's the flexible, fast-moving fraction that makes everything else work. It's also, notably, the part of the system that the US has historically supported even when bilateral aid has been cut. Whether that continues is one of the questions today's event will answer, at least partially.

Tom Fletcher, in the GHO launch remarks, put the broader funding ask in a sentence that has been circulating: "If the world can spend $2.7 trillion on defence last year, surely it can spend just over one percent of that on helping the most vulnerable?" The CERF event is, in one sense, a smaller version of that argument, made in a room of people who already agree with it. The question is whether agreement translates into pledges, and whether pledges translate into disbursements, before July, when WFP says it may have to stop food assistance in Somalia altogether.

CERF pledging event | OCHA GHO 2026

Watch for outcomes from the CERF pledging event later today. The Somalia and Ebola trajectories are the two files moving fastest right now, both will likely require follow-up dispatches before the week is out. You can subscribe in the meantime if you'd like to stay up to date and receive emails.


Great! You’ve successfully signed up.

Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.

You've successfully subscribed to HDB Situation Report.

Success! Check your email for magic link to sign-in.

Success! Your billing info has been updated.

Your billing was not updated.